Written by Adrian Wozniak
Tuesday, 29 September 2009
* Biotin, a B vitamin that aids in body growth.
* Males and Females ≥ 19 years: 30 ug/day
What's Biotin for?
* Involved in the release of energy from carbohydrates, fat, and protein
* Assists in fatty acid synthesis
* Essential in gluconeogenesis, the breakdown of protein for energy during starvation
* Part of B vitamin utilization
Best Food sources
* Very widespread in foods
* Particularly abundant in egg yolk, meat, fish, soybeans, dairy, whole grains, and dark green vegetables
* Synthesized in the GI tract by intestinal microorganisms, but not enough to be the sole source